Saturday, March 18, 2017

Stash Bee March 2017 {Freeform Log Cabins}

This month for the Stash Bee, our Queen Bee Patty asked for Gwen Marston inspired log cabin blocks. I was rather excited about this -- thinking that like last month I would be able to use up a lot of scraps.

It sort of turned out to be a debacle.

First off, when I started pulling fabrics, I realized how truly few solids that I have which doesn't work well when your queen bee requests all or nearly all solids for a block. So I pulled in some near solids and figured I would minimize them and set off to work.

I made two blocks...


...and I hated them. The tonals and small scale prints were just too much and both blocks just seemed on the haphazard side of freeform. Some of the piecing of the dark accents was too large. I have literally never been this unhappy with bee blocks before.

So I did the only reasonable thing and chopped them all apart, salvaged the solid pieces and a few block sections, and then set out to work again. I pulled some additional solid fat quarters that I found buried deep in my stash and set off for round two.

This time I was much happier with my block.


So thus endeth the saga of bee blocks for March. I would very much enjoy not making more blocks like this for a while!

Sharing at Oh Scrap!

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's about the learning process. That's the great thing about those bee blocks, you get to test drive without committing to whole quilt. For what it's worth, I liked both sets of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I like the freeform blocks, at least on my phone😉. I like the non 45° angles and the fuschia detracts from the other fabrics. Whatever makes you happy but try boarder the nonconforming blocks in Navy or something and see what that does. Maybe take a picture of it to see what we see. Thanks for sharing your discoveries with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are our own worst critics. I like the before and after. I need to try something like that because I am not very brave in the freeform category. Glad you are happier now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing is that you pushed ahead and found some additional creative juice. Kudos to you. Now you have a different skill under your creative quilt belt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the "revamped block". Worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the revamped block. You did a great job with the negative spaces and the colors. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked both but the last one was wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!